Monday, August 16, 2010

Left Coast Love

In theory, a red eye flight makes perfect sense -- get in a full day of touring and sleep on the boring plane ride home. In practice, it just makes for a very sleepy and slow Monday at work. 

After a trip to San Diego, I have to wonder why more people aren't flocking to one of SoCal's most charming cities. But, I guess not every day can be a day at the beach, though San Diegans sure do fool you into thinking otherwise!
Today's post is dedicated to picturesque La Jolla.

Whenever I venture to a coastal city, it's my goal to eat as much fresh fish as I can possibly stand -- and for those who know me and my metabolism, that's a lot!

El Pescador Fish Market (627 Pearl Street, La Jolla) is part fish market, part eat-in fish shack. Patrons pick from two display cases of the freshest catches, from swordfish to snapper and lobsters to langoustines for take-away dishes or on-the-spot sandwiches and salads. 

The original shop, brainchild of surfer Jeff Norris, started serving up fish in Del Mar in 1974. Four years later, paper boy Sean Shannon opened the La Jolla outpost. Today, El Pescador attracts a diverse clientele -- surfers dripping from the waves, locals grabbing dinner for the family and tourists -- like me -- just looking for a tasty (and affordable) lunch. Sandwiches, made fresh and to your liking, will run you between $7 and $10. 

 *Photo courtesy of Local Wally's

No comments:

Post a Comment