For those not traveling for the holiday this weekend, here are six some very frugal ways to take advantage of the outdoors:
- Take a walk on the Highline. Take a book, a board game, an afternoon snack and enjoy views of the Hudson River.
- Feel the warm spring breeze on your back as you jog or bike with friends on the West Side Highway river path.
- Pack a healthy picnic lunch and lounge in one of New York's famous parks (Central, Madison, Union Square, Prospect).
- Get a shake a Shake Shack. While there's bound to be a line snaking through Madison Square Park, nothing beats a cold chocolate milk shake on a hot, sunny day.
- Ride the Central Park Carousel. Remember when you were younger and riding the carousel was a special treat? Nearly 250,000 riders visit the Central Park Carousel each year.
- Buy local, organic produce at the Union Square Green Market for picnic lunch. You might even run into Mario Batali who has been known to frequent the market.
- Ferry over to the Statue of Liberty for the day. Take the ferry service from lower Manhattan and climb to the crown of one of America's most famous monuments.